Bradley's View

Bradley's View

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Four Passes Loop Revisited

      Balance.  It is an underlying theme in each of our lives.  Be it the yin and the yang that represents so many principles of various eastern philosophies, or the more tangible balance that must occur when striving to work, play, nurture others, and grow amidst the hustle and bustle of life, balance is integral.  Often, I am aloof in my pursuit of balance, but recently I've come to terms with one truth regarding balance in my life: I prefer to balance on the edge.

        An interesting quote that came my way a couple of days ago:

"There are no instructions.  There is nothing to hold on to.  You have to decide for yourself what gives you inner strength, what minimizes your confusion, what helps you get unstuck, what brings you closer to experiencing life without a storyline..."
-Pema Chodron

      I had the pleasure of making the acquaintance of Eric Grossman, a friend of some friends.  A few minutes before we'd even learned each other's names, we set a date two days away to trek the Maroon Bells Four Passes Loop.  It is always wonderful to be surrounded by people who also relish in the pursuit of beauty, the exploration of fatigue, and who have an undaunted enthusiasm for both the adventure of life and adventures in life.

      The trek featured good climbing (~12,000ft), great conversation, impeccable weather, and everything else that makes this one of the most scenic and inspiring routes in Colorado.  The trek took us about 7.5 hours.


Sunrise by Crater Lake (Photo: E. Grossman)

Ascending Buckskin Pass (Photo: E. Grossman)

Eric descending
   
Hikers descending Trail Rider Pass towards Snowmass Lake (Photo: E. Grossman)

"My hearts stuck on a mountain somewhere in North Caroline
Me, I choose to spend my days out here in the columbine"

Reaching the top of Frigid Air Pass, loving life.

Unbelievable grandeur! 

No comments:

Post a Comment